New York - United States
EnvironmentSociete Generale’s Global Banking and Investor Solutions (GBIS) Division operates in all major markets with to 12,000 staff in more than 30 countries, over 3,000 staff of which reside in the United States. The three primary business lines in the United States – Global Finance (GLFI), Coverage and Investment Banking (CORI), and Global Markets (MARK) provide sophisticated banking, advisory, capital markets and trading solutions to a diverse client base. The GLFI and CORI businesses have important concentrations in Natural Resources, Asset-Backed Products, Leveraged Lending and Capital Markets. Keys to future successes are a continuing client focus as well as the successful embracing of an increase in market sophistication and the intelligent adaptation to the challenges of ongoing regulatory change.
The US Legal Department works in collaboration with a global team with main hubs in London, Paris, Hong Kong and Bangalore. The Legal Department serves a dual mission of furthering legitimate business objectives while protecting SG from legal, regulatory and reputational risk. The Legal Department is strongly aligned with business and operational activity globally and therefore plays a key role in the success of Societe Generale’s corporate and investment banking ambitions. The Legal Department interacts directly both with external counterparts and with members of internal business divisions while also working closely with the credit, risk, operations and collateral teams who share responsibility for the success of SG’s client focused activities.
- The attorney desired will provide legal and transactional advice and counsel to clients in SG’s U.S. offices in connection with the securitization and structured finance activities of the Asset-Backed Products (ABP) business lines within Global Finance (GLFI) in the U.S.
- Product coverage will include but not be limited to collateralized financing (i.e. loans, TRS and repos backed by syndicated loans, asset backed securities and other ABP underlyings), ABCP, CLOs, CMBS, ABS, structured repos, securities lending, warehouse financing and table funding arrangements, and other structured and asset-backed products.
- Will provide secondary coverage to lending, finance, and investment banking/advisory businesses covered by the team.
- Will draft, review and negotiate all manner of transaction agreements and offering documentation and provide advice and counseling on documentation, transaction structuring and negotiation.
- Will draft, implement and maintain legal and compliance policies and procedures.
- Will advise and support clients in new product development.
- Will advise on legal and regulatory changes and other developments affecting covered products and businesses.
- Will develop and maintain form documentation for various business activities and provide training and educational support to clients.
- Will work closely with credit risk, tax, accounting, compliance and other control functions in connection with active transactions and coordinate and work with business lines in other SG offices in connection with U.S. legal matters.
- Will coordinate and supervise activities of external counsel.
Technical SkillsRequired/Must have:
- At least 3 years of broad based professional U.S. legal experience, with strong experience drafting and reviewing sophisticated securitization and structured finance documentation, including loan agreements, repos, CLOs, purchase and pooling agreements, servicing agreements, bond indentures, and offering documentation.
- Solid background in U.S. banking and securities regulations, Dodd-Frank, U.S. and EU risk retention framework, and Volcker as applied to these product categories.
- Familiarity with cross-border/multi-jurisdictional structures and issues.
- An understanding of the core businesses of SG Americas covered by the Global Finance and Investment Banking legal team, especially commercial lending, asset-based lending and related bank and other regulatory issues.
- Expertise/experience with UCC and U.S. bankruptcy regime and background in U.S. secured transactions regulations and documentation.
- Derivatives (e.g. total return swaps) and structured repo experience.
- Familiarity with middle-market leveraged loans, capital call facilities, and real estate lending documentation.
- Diligent work ethic and positive attitude
- Highly intelligent, capable and responsible
- Excellent written and oral communication and advocacy skills
- Flexible and creative personality, adaptable to changing business and product mix
- Strong client service mentality
- Seasoned business and legal judgment
- Ability to balance commercial needs while protecting the interests of the bank
- Ability to listen to diverse points of view
- Ability to exert influence and persuade others
- Ability to take a position even in absence of broad-based support
- Ability to prioritize tasks and effectively respond to and service demanding clients
- Ability and willingness to learn new and unfamiliar areas of law and business
- Ability to communicate complex legal concepts in a commercially accessible manner
- Ability to work independently as well as in teams
- Fluency in English and significant prior experience in legal drafting in English
- Ability to conceive of and manage complex projects.
- Skill and experience in managing interdisciplinary projects and project teams.
Prior Work ExperienceRequired/Must have:
- Major US law firm experience with specialized focus on securitization and structured finance.
- Experience in a bank or other financial services institution with similar businesses to SG Americas.
- Lending, derivatives and structured repo experience.
- Active Member, New York State Bar
- Law degree from a well-regarded U.S. law school (or foreign equivalent)
- Undergraduate degree from a well-regarded 4-year college/university