At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature.
Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you an enthusiastic, talented and experienced software engineer, at ease with the latest Kubernetes and Java web technologies? Are you willing to take a major role in the design and implementation of the next generation of cloud applications and infrastructures to be used by the CERN's community? Then join CERN and take part in one of the most incredible scientific experiments in the world!
You will join the Database Applications and Reporting services section, which provides the hosting for critical engineering, administration, and IT services. It builds and maintains platforms for CERN developed Java applications based on application servers like WebLogic and Tomcat e.g. EDMS, EDH, Impact, LanDB etc. commercial software deployments supporting processes in finance, logistics, HR e.g Infor, OracleHR, HRAccess, Qualiac etc and Oracle web hosting e.g. APEX, ORDS.
The section is also in charge of the central reporting service based on Pentaho.
As a Java/Kubernetes Engineer in the Information Technology (IT) Department, Database Services (DB) group your main activities will consist of:
- Operation of production CERN Java applications, Oracle Restful Data Services (ORDS) deployed to Kubernetes (OpenStack Magnum).
- Maintenance and continuous developments of the Kubernetes based platform.
- Development of Apache Tomcat and Oracle WebLogic components like Docker images, monitoring, logging and authentication plugins.
- Provide advice and support of Tomcat, WebLogic as well as general Java web application design to developer communities. Share domain and technical expertise, providing technical mentorship and specific training to peers.
- Encourage adoptions of new cloud-based technologies among developers.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of information technologies or a related field. or a related field.
The successful candidate should have demonstrated experience in the following fields:
- Operation of production Kubernetes environments supporting thousands of users.
- Extensive experience with Docker, Kubernetes and container orchestration engines with a focus on Java web applications deployments.
- Technical and troubleshooting skills with Linux and web components, especially load balancers, Ingress controller, HAProxy, Apache HTTPD or equivalent.
- Practical experience with Java application servers like Apache Tomcat, Oracle WebLogic server or WildFly.
- Practical knowledge of scripting languages like Python and Bash.
Additional experience in the following fields would be an asset:
- Experience with IT virtualisation infrastructure like OpenStack.
- Demonstrated relevant experience with technologies like Argo, Fluentd, Prometheus, Elasticsearch.
- Experience with Java development.
- Administration of computing systems: management of Kubernetes clusters.
- Knowledge of operating systems: working with Linux and debugging applications running on Linux.
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages: development of Python and Shell scripts, using Git for source code control.
- Knowledge and application of software life-cycle tools and procedures: : ITIL and Scrum.
- Achieving Results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind
- Solving Problems: adopting a pragmatic approach; understanding the value of adopting generic rather than gold -plated' technical solutions Finding the information needed to solve problems; making objective judgments based on all the facts available
- Communicating Effectively: checking to ensure that the message has been well understood Ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented
- Managing Self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting Taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 23.07.2021 at 12PM CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: IT-DB-DAR-2021-73-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Engineer