Job Title: Head of Digital Development
Job Type: Permanent
Location: Leamington Spa or Edinburgh
Department: Digital Innovation Group
Reports to: Head of Digital Innovation
abrdn plc is one of the world’s largest investment companies, and we are built on a long standing culture of caring about the future and making a positive impact. Together we invest for a better future. We do it to make a difference to the lives of our clients and customers, our employees, society and our shareholders.
Our strategy is to build a vibrant and value-creating purpose-led organisation, with the current and future needs of our stake holders at the heart of all we do.
Role PurposeThe Head of Digital Development leads the Digital Development department and has overall responsibility for the successful delivery of the core Product capability.
Key OutcomesBuild a Strong Department
- Establish and maintain a digital development department that is capable of successfully building all core Digital product solutions that can be successfully implemented for abrdn and external customers globally.
- Provide effective leadership to the department ensuring that the vision and strategy are understood and translated into specific actions and objectives that support them.
- Provide excellent line management, mentoring and coaching to direct reports and ensure that this is cascaded throughout the department.
- Ensure that the department has all the required skills and be accountable for all hiring and performance management within the department.
Deliver World-class Product Capability
- Define, communicate, track and manage a programme of work to deliver world-class product capability for the Digital Innovation Group's (DIG) customers.
- Drive the timely delivery of product capability to the highest levels of quality whilst carefully managing the costs of delivery.
- Work closely with the Head of Product Management to ensure that the vision and roadmap are clearly understood by the Digital Development teams.
- Ensure that Squads create high-quality designs for software to be developed, calling on expertise from outside the Squads where required and ensuring that designs meet the vision and requirements of the Product Management team.
- Ensure that the department has a clearly defined agile development methodology through which it will deliver a world-class product capability that meets the vision and roadmap as set out by and agreed with the Product Management team.
- Ensure that there is alignment with abrdn architecture standards as the DIG’s capability is migrated from the current Focus platform to a native cloud architecture based on Azure.
- Ensure that clear, high-quality development standards are set out and complied with by all members of the department.
- Ensure that high-performing Squads are nurtured to produce high-quality Product software in an efficient and effective way.
- Emphasise the critical importance of code security and ensure that (at least) good industry practice is applied to all security aspects of the build process starting with Security by Design.
- Establish and improve an appropriate governance framework that will ensure that Squads are performing well, any issues are addressed and performance is continuously improved.
- Ensure that high levels of test automation are developed and maintained so that frequent releases of product components are possible without significant manual testing constraints.
- Utilise approved resource augmentation partners as appropriate and ensure that their resources are blended into the Squads and key long-term knowledge is retained by permanent staff.
- Ensure that the Product is documented in alignment with the style and scope agreed with Product Management.
Contribute to the overall development and leadership of the Digital Innovation Group
- Provide strategic input to the direction of the Digital Innovation Group.
- Work collaboratively with other senior roles to identify and implement areas for improvement.
- Establish close working relationships with stakeholders across abrdn to help identify opportunities and manage escalations.
Skills & Experience
- Demonstrable ability to organise a programme of work across multiple teams to deliver a complex Product.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills.
- Outstanding track record of building agile teams to deliver world-class product capability.
- Track record of introducing and evolving agile development methodologies.
- Strong understanding of how software products are developed and how a department needs to be set up to ensure successful delivery.
- Experience in working with a resource augmentation partner.
- First class stakeholder management skills up to and including C-level.
- Extensive people management, leadership and communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
Our BenefitsThere's more to working life than coming home with a good salary. We have an environment where you can learn, get involved and be supported.
When you join us, your reward will be one of the best around, including 40 days annual leave, a 16% employer pension contribution, a discretionary, performance based bonus, private healthcare and a range of flexible benefits including gym discounts, season ticket loans and access to an employee discount site amongst many others. You can read more about our benefits here.