- Experience programming in one or more of the following languages: C, C++, Java, Python, Go, Perl, or Ruby.
- Experience with algorithms and data structures and/or Unix/Linux systems internals and administration.
- Experience in leading team(s) of experienced engineers on projects.
- Experience delivering critical products with business impact.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience as a technical influencer for highly scalable distributed system designs.
- Excellent analytical problem solving, troubleshooting, and project management skills.
About the job
Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) combines software and systems engineering to build and run large-scale, massively distributed, fault-tolerant systems. SRE ensures that Google's services—both our internally critical and our externally-visible systems—have reliability, uptime appropriate to users' needs and a fast rate of improvement. Additionally SRE’s will keep an ever-watchful eye on our systems capacity and performance. Much of our software development focuses on optimizing existing systems, building infrastructure and eliminating work through automation.
On the SRE team, you’ll have the opportunity to manage the complex challenges of scale which are unique to Google, while using your expertise in coding, algorithms, complexity analysis and large-scale system design.
SRE's culture of diversity, intellectual curiosity, problem solving and openness is key to its success. Our organization brings together people with a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We encourage them to collaborate, think big and take risks in a blame-free environment. We promote self-direction to work on meaningful projects, while we also strive to create an environment that provides the support and mentorship needed to learn and grow.
To learn more: check out our books on , watch a recorded to meet some of our SREs, or read a about why a Software Engineer chose to join SRE.
As Senior Staff Engineer you will have proven technical ability to look at a wide spectrum of systems driving solutions to large scale problems. You will provide technical leadership across multiple SRE teams and product engineering teams.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Be responsible for delivery of complex projects across the organization.
- Lead designs of major software components, systems, and features to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of Google's services.
- Lead sustainable incident response, blameless postmortems, and production improvements that result in direct business opportunities for Google.
- Provide guidance to other team members on managing end-to-end availability and performance of mission critical services, on building automation to prevent problem recurrence, and on building automated responses for non-exceptional service conditions.
- Mentor and train other team members on design techniques and coding standards, and to cultivate innovation and collaboration across multiple teams.
Map DataMap data ©2021
Map data ©2021
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also and If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing our .
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.